Kazuko Behrens CV (pdf)
- Ph.D. in Human Development, University of California, Berkeley (2005)
- M.A. in Developmental Psychology, San Francisco State University (1999)
Honors and Awards
- President’s Opportunity Fund, SUNY Polytechnic Institute, 2015 $1,806
- UUP Individual Development Award, SUNY Polytechnic Institute, 2015 $1,000
- President’s Opportunity Fund, SUNY Institute of Technology, 2014 $1,500
- Summer Undergraduate Research Project Fund, SUNY Institute of Technology, 2014 $5,000
- UUP Individual Development Award, SUNY Institute of Technology, 2014 $200
- Center for Undergraduate Research Fund, Texas Tech University, 2011 $2,000
- FHL Foundation as PI, 2011-2012 $25,000
- Center for Undergraduate Research Fund, Texas Tech University, 2010 $2,000
- Seed grant, Texas Tech University, 2006-2007 $4,500
- Seed grant, Texas Tech University, 2005-2006 $4,500
Areas of Research
- Individual differences in social-emotional development.
- Intergenerational transmission of attachment.
- Physiological correlates of attachment phenomena.
- Parental sensitivity.
- Attachment and cognition.
- Attachment and culture.
- Attachment-based intervention.
- Behrens, K. Y., Haltigan, J. D., & Gribneau Bahm (2016). Infant attachment, adult attachment, and maternal sensitivity:
Revisiting the intergenerational transmission gap. Attachment and Human Development,18, 337-353.
- Mesman , J, van IJzendoorn, M., Behrens , K., Carbonell, O.A., Leiva, R. C., Cohen-Paraira, I., de la Harpe, C., Ekmekçi, H., Emmen, R., Heidar, J., Kondo-Ikemura, K., Mels, C., Mooya. H., Murtisari, S., Noblega, M. , , Ortiz, J. A., Sagi-Schwartz, A., Sichimba, F., Soares, I., Steele, H., Steele, M., Van der Leeden, M., Van der Veer, R., Wang, L., Yağmurlu, B., Yavuz, M., Zreik, G.(2015). The ideal mother is a sensitive mother: Beliefs about early childhood parenting in mothers across the globe. International Journal of Behavioral Development. Advance online publication.
- Behrens, K. Y., Parker, A. C., & Kulkofsky, S. (2014). Stability of maternal sensitivity across time and contexts with Q-Sort measures. Infant and Child Development, 23, 532-541.
- Behrens, K. Y. & Umemura, T. (2013). Japanese children’s reactions to the family photographs: Association found with their mothers’ attachment status. Infant and Child Development, 22, 289-296.
- Behrens, K. Y., Hart, S. L., & Parker, A. C. (2012). Maternal sensitivity: Evidence of stability across time, contexts, and measurement instruments. Infant and Child Development, 21. 348-355.
- Behrens, K. Y. & Kaplan, N. (2011). Japanese children’s family drawings and their link to attachment. Attachment and Human Development, 13, 437-450.
- Behrens, K. Y., Parker, A. C., & Haltigan, J. D. (2011). Maternal sensitivity assessed during the strange situation predicts child’s attachment quality and reunion behaviors. Infant Behavior and Development, 34, 378-381.
- Behrens, K. Y. & Kondo-Ikemura, K. (2011). Japanese children’s amae and mothers’ attachment status assessed on the AAI. International Journal of Psychology,46, 368-376.
- Behrens, K. Y., Hesse, E., & Main, M. (2007). Mothers’ attachment status as determined by the Adult Attachment Interview predicts their 6-year- olds’ reunion responses: A study conducted in Japan. Developmental Psychology, 43, 1553-1567.
- Behrens, K. Y. (2004). A multifaceted view of the concept of amae: Reconsidering the indigenous Japanese concept of relatedness. Human Development, 47, 1-27.
- Principle of Psychology (PSY100)
- Lifespan Development (PSY220)
- History of Psychology (PSY405)
- Senior Seminar – Psychosocial development (PSY493)
- Special Topic – Parenting and culture (PSY490)
SUNY Poly committee
- Member, Dean’s Search Committee (2015-2016)
- Member, Committee for the Evaluation of Academic Administrators (2015–2016)
- Member, Internal Review Board Committee (2014–present)
- Member, Search Committee (2014-2015)
- Member, General Education Assessment Committee (2013-2014)
- Member, Academic Quality Committee (2012-2014)
Ad hoc Reviewer for:
- Attachment and Human Development
- Child Development
- Early Childhood Research Quarterly
- European Journal of Developmental Psychology
- Human Development
- International Perspectives in Psychology: Research, Practice, Consultation
- Infant and Child Development
- Journal of Child and Family Studies
- Psychological Reports
- Social Development