To be considered for admission, all applicants to the MS Computer and Information Science program must possess a baccalaureate degree with a major in computer science or information systems from an accredited university or college. In addition, a background in mathematics including calculus and statistics/probability is required. Applicants must generally have an average of B or better (a GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 point scale). A GRE General Test score is generally required for consideration. For international applicants requiring proof of English proficiency, the minimum GRE score requirement for admission consideration is a 153 on the quantitative section and a 140 on the verbal section of the exam. Applicants without a CS or IS degree may be admitted conditionally but must demonstrate proficiency in the following subject areas: computer organization (machine structures), data structures, object-oriented programming, discrete math/structures, calculus, and statistics/probability. This can be achieved in one of two ways:
- Submit undergraduate transcripts along with the SUNY Poly Application for Graduate Admission showing a B grade or higher in each subject area.
- Address the deficiencies by completing the appropriate designated bridge course (CS 500, 502, 503, 505) with a B grade or higher within the first 16 credit hours of SUNY Poly graduate work. Bridge courses are intended to provide students with fundamental knowledge in computer science as appropriate and serve to prepare students for advanced coursework. Bridge courses do not count toward the M.S. degree requirements.
Application Materials Checklist To apply submit the following materials to the SUNY Polytechnic Institute Graduate Admissions Office, 100 Seymour Road, Utica, NY 13502:
- Online Application for Graduate Admission with a $60 application fee*
- Official transcripts from colleges previously attended
- Official GRE score report** (The SUNY Poly school code for GRE score reporting is 2896)
- One academic or professional Reference Report Form
- Share this link if you would like your recommenders to be able to submit an electronic reference for you
- Résumé (can be submitted via email to email@example.com)
* The application fee is waived for: U.S. Veterans | SUNY Poly alumni & current matriculated undergraduate students ** Applicants with a 3.0+ GPA may request a GRE waiver based on strong undergraduate academic performance and/or relevant professional experience. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request the waiver after the application has been submitted.
Application Deadlines: July 1 for fall admission | December 1 for spring admission
SUNY Poly reserves the right to close admission at any time prior to the application deadlines.