Student FAQs

Below you will find answers to questions students frequently ask.

How do I advance register for classes for next semester?

  • Advance registration is available to matriculated SUNY Poly students beginning November 15 for Spring semester, and April 1 for Fall semester.
  • You may register via the Web beginning at a specific time, as indicated by your Registration Status. To view your Registration Status, log in to the secure area of Banner and follow links to Student & Financial Aid / Registration Status. A beginning time for your registration will be listed, as well as any registration holds currently on your academic record.
  • All students are encouraged to meet with an academic advisor prior to registering for classes. If you have an advisement hold on your registration status, you must meet with an advisor prior to registering for classes.
  • Most students will need to obtain their academic folder prior to meeting with their advisor.
  • If you do not understand a registration hold, contact your academic department.
  • Instructions to register online.

How do I contact a faculty member or my academic advisor?

  • If you don't know the name of your academic advisor, log in to the secure area of Banner and follow links to Student & Financial Aid / Student Records / Academic Transcript. Your advisor's name will be listed.

How do I add or drop a class to my current schedule?

  • During the add/drop period (generally the first week of classes during the fall and spring semesters -- consult the academic calendar for specific dates) you can use Banner to add and/or drop a course from your schedule for the current semester.
  • To add and/or drop a course from your current schedule when Banner is not available, complete the drop/add form. You will need permission from the instructor for any course you are adding. Add/drop fees will apply.

How do I get permission to get into a closed section of a course this semester?

  • If you would like to register for a course that is currently closed, send an email to the instructor asking for permission. Please include your SUNY Poly U-number (available on your ID card) in the email request. Once your request has been approved, you will receive an email with instructions to complete registration.

How do I change my major?

  • To change your major set up an appointment with an academic advisor from the program you would like to join. If you do not know any faculty members in that program, contact your advisor.

How do I arrange to take a course at another college?

  • Matriculated SUNY Poly students who wish to take courses at another college and apply those credits to their SUNY Poly degree must receive approval prior to taking the course. Complete the petition to take classes at another college. The completed form should be sent to your advisor (see contact information above).


Request More Information

Detailed information, brochures and forms can be mailed to you upon request.


Let's Start The Process     

Complete and submit your application to SUNY Polytechnic Institute.